From time to time, we have certain events in our lives that motivate us to do things we otherwise would not do.
Recently SIX , very, very close friends of mine suffered major CARDIOVASCULAR and CANCER events, and several became Type-2 DIABETICS. I was shocked. So many. So close.
I did what anybody else would do, [should do!]. I busted through all the hype, advertising messages, false information among doctors and surgeons, and located and studied valid research, unbiased research, about chronic diseases. In my quest, I learned that, for me, I’d be much better off, health-wise, [but I am also saving a ton of money, too], if I were to convert to 100% VEGAN, no oils, no nuts, no seeds. By the way, I dropped 50 pounds, built muscle, am running farther, have tons more energy, and am getting compliments from just about everyone who remembers what I used to look like. To say this lifestyle is better for me is a major understatement. Before I changed my diet, I was probably a lot like you…
One of the foods I used to enjoy occasionally for breakfast was pancakes.
I remember those days of using buttermilk pancake mix poured into a pool of sizzling butter in a fry pan. When the pancake was ready, I’d plop it onto a plate, smear butter over it and then smother it with maple syrup. M-m-m-m-m. Yummy.
So, when I ruled out of my diet foods such as eggs, milk, butter, and oils of any kind, one of the first of my old-diet foods to go was pancakes. I hated to see them go. However, almost as soon as I turned my back on them, I began looking for a vegan version of a pancake that I could enjoy and that would meet my needs.
I tried a lot of recipes and every one of them tasted a lot like, as someone I value once said, “cardboard”. Today, I hit on a miracle pancake recipe that I created as a result of my constant experimentation. I can legitimately say that, this morning, I ate a pancake that put me into pancake heaven! It was delightful. I am capturing my recipe here so you can share it and enjoy it, too.
First here are the basic rules as per: DR. CALDWELL B. ESSELSTYN, Jr., MD.; DR. JOHN MCDOUGALL, MD.; DR. NEAL BARNARD, MD.; DR. COLIN CAMPBELL, Ph.D.; and a number of others successfully treating and even reversing many of these chronic diseases:
- NO animal products-no fish, meats, poultry, or any other animal product.
- NO dairy-no eggs, milk, cream, ice-cream, yogurt.
- NO OILS especially no olive oil or any other oil for cooking or as a dressing. Don’t eat anything with oils in it especially read the labels on packaged foods. No such thing as a heart-healthy oil.
- NO nuts, seeds, or fatty plant foods such as avocados, olives.
- NO textured vegetable proteins–those fake meats.
- EAT PLENTY OF: plant-sourced whole foods.
At the heart of my quest for a heart-healthy breakfast, I was blessed to be able to speak with Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn who stressed the importance of having foods like Kale as often as possible. I researched the merits of that concept and learned that Kale has an ORAC, (nutritional), value of 1,800. I also learned that RAISINS have an ORAC value of almost 2,800. So, if it is the ORAC value that makes Kale one of the recommended foods to eat for maintaining our arteries, you’ll love the fact that RAISINS, with their higher ORAC value, are included in this recipe below.
One of the enjoyments we lose when moving away from all that butter fat, animal fat, animal protein, is that rich, greasy taste that fats create in our mouths. Obviously, a vegetable, absent those animal fats, tastes a lot different. And. likely by going to any fat-free, animal-product-free pancake, you’d expect it to taste like, “cardboard”. Not this one.
You likely won’t even think of the old-style of pancakes which were smothered with fats. This pancake was delightful. Because we are adding NO FATS to this, it ought to be a lot healthier than my old, butter-laden pancakes!
- 1/4 cup NUTRITIONAL YEAST–BOB’S RED MILL BRAND, LARGE FLAKE
- 1/2 cup MONARCH BRAND CAKE & PASTRY FLOUR
- 1/2 cup QUAKER BRAND QUICK OATS
- 3/4 cup ROBIN HOOD BRAND ALL PURPOSE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
- 1/2 teaspoon TABLE SALT
- 1 teaspoon KRAFT MAGIC BAKING POWDER
- 1 teaspoon GROUND CINNAMON
- 4 heaping tablespoons APPLESNAX BRAND ORGANIC UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
- 1 tablespoon VANILLA
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of SUN-MAID BRAND NATURAL CALIFORNIA RAISINS
- approx. 1 cup to 1 and a half cups of water–add 1 cup and stir then add more to achieve the consistency that best meets your “slump” test for batter thickness.
Preheat a non-stick fry pan of good quality. Typically non-sticks advise using a small amount of oil or butter, but, if you don’t mind slightly damaging your non-stick with each use, to skip the oil or butter, then you can have an almost oil-free pancake!! Why no oil of any sort? Oil is damaging to your arteries. All oils are damaging to arteries. In our recipe we added apple sauce in place of oil, margarine, or butter. Cook until both sides are nicely browned but not burnt. Serve with a modest amount of taste-bud stimulating maple syrup.